CHESTNUT OF MONTELLA PGI


mappa-italia-def-campania

 

en_IGP_4c-PGI-inglese

The Chestnut of Montella joined the official list of typical Italian products with the certification PGI (protected geographical indication) that was issued on 21 June 1996.
Being a product of PGI certification requires that at least one phase of the production process should be carried out in the region of Campania.
The Protected Geographical Indication Castagna di Montella refers to chestnuts produced by 90% by the variety Palummina and the remaining 10% by the variety Verdole. The distinctive features of the Chestnut of Montella PGI are represented by a medium or medium-small (75-90 fruits per kg) and the round shape of the fruit, with lower face flat, convex base and top obtuse average hairy. The seed has white flesh, crisp and pleasant, sweet taste. The rind (pericarp) is thin and brown cargo, easily detachable.
The shape of the fruit justifies the etymology of the name of the variety Palommina, shape reminiscent of the likeness of a dove in dialect means precisely “Palomma”. Thanks to the high level of fragrance and flavor, the Chestnut of Montella PGI is used in the fresh state (also including the frozen) and dry state in shell or not.
As well as roasted chestnuts, chestnuts from Montella are particularly required by the processing for use marron glacé, jam, natural and puree. Excellent garnish for meats and soups, but their use is especially accentuated in desserts, of different types.
The Chestnut of Montella PGI is considered among the best chestnuts produced in Italy; the reasons for this success are not only the intrinsic quality of the variety, even in the composition of the soil, the climate, but also in the high professionalism achieved by chestnut growers in the area that contribute to enhance the quality of the product.
A type of commercial Castagna di Montella PGI, especially at Christmas time, the chestnut is fired (the famous Castagna del Prete), for which an application was an integration current product specification. It is made with chestnuts in shell dried, roasted and then hydrated with water.
The Chestnut of Montella PGI is produced exclusively in the communes of Montella, Bagnoli Irpino, Cassano Irpino, Volturara Irpina, Nusco and Montemarano, at an altitude between 500 and 1000 meters above sea level. The number of plants per hectare ranges from 80 to 180 .

CASTAGNA DI MONTELLA IGP FOTO

Lascia un commento

Il tuo indirizzo email non sarà pubblicato.